Friday, May 22, 2009

The Frog and Forgiveness


Last Saturday was moving day for Stephen and Kelley. They did not need Mason's bed so Stephen, James and Bert brought it over to put in the newly painted bedroom that I was fixing for the grand kids. Mason came with them and was playing with Jennifer in the play room. We heard a crash from that direction but I guess I was enjoying the conversation between James and Stephen (which is always entertaining). I figured whatever it was Jennifer could handle it, especially since crying was not involved.

A few minutes later Jennifer called me into the playroom and said,"Mason has something to tell you. Go ahead, you can tell Grandma". At that point I could tell this was pretty serious since he was sitting on the floor with his head down. I sat down on the floor beside him and took the toy out of his hand and told him to look at me. In a very quiet voice he said," I threw the ball and I broke your frog". At that moment I felt God all over me, for a lack of a better description). Here it was, one of those life lessons. Not just for Mason, but for me as well. Yes, the ceramic frog with a pipe was painted by Bert 20 years ago was special, but not as special as the precious, repentive spirit I saw in front of me that was now waiting to see what kind of justice was going to be handed out for his deed. He melted my heart.

I realized that how I handled this situation would impact how Mason would respond to future acts of wrong doing . I had already shown I cared about what he had to say by getting on his level on the floor. Mason knew not to throw the ball in the house, but being 3 years old sometimes you just don't have self control.

What would Jesus do if it were me? It was me and you! I know what not to do and say, but my lack of self control causes me sin as well, and I'm not 3. And God does hear me when I quietly confess to Him. In fact He comes down to me.

This was a chance to show God's love and forgiveness just as God does for me. God does not stand over me and brow beat me with words of condemnation but shows grace. He wraps His arms around me and says," I forgive you and remember no more."

That's what I did. I gave Mason a big Grandma hug and told him he did the right thing by telling the truth. The smile I got was priceless.

I didn't share this story with you to boast about how I handled this situation but to say to all you parents," I wish I had known then (when my kids were little) what I know now. When you look at that rebellious little face that tells you, "No", stop and think about how many times you have done the same with God. How does God treat you? Remember, our kids perception of God is formed by what they see in us.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

That was moving and very well said. Thanks for sharing.