Monday, December 13, 2010

Homesick

It is this time of the year when I really get homesick and miss family and a time when life was simple.
I miss the south, the southern accents and the slow moving people. The colors of winter and sometimes snow. I miss the smell of Faye and Furman's fireplace, the smell of peaches on Nannies back porch and Granddad's pipe. I miss the sound of Sam bellowing out Amazing Grace and Grandad singing The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago. I miss fussing with Tom over the chocolate pie, (I still have not gotten over the fact that Mom made you banana bread to take home every visit). I miss seeing my Mom in her beautiful Christmas sweaters and earrings. I miss puzzle time with my sister.
I miss a simpler time when a kiss and a band aid healed all my children's hurts and pain. I miss a time when being held and rocked was a consolation and time of comfort.
Nannie, Grandad, Sam, my Mom and Dad are spending Christmas with Jesus. I can only imagine what kind of Christmas they are having. Now I am really homesick!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

You made me cry! I never lived "simpler times" like you did in the south, but as I've gotten older life has gotten tougher and very complicated. All we can look forward to is a simple Christmas in heaven when it comes our time. And to try to live today with that goal in mind. I am so blessed to have in-laws like you and Bert in my life! We can't wait to celebrate Christmas morning with you guys! Love you!